Saturday, January 31, 2009

Technically Serving - Online ministries.

As a computer geek turned seminarian, I hope to help educate the church in using technology for all forms of ministry. I'm not sure where all this will lead but I do know that I'm answering a call from God to full time, ordained ministry and that while serving in the pulpit I hope to be able to fulfill this mission.

I really got upset one night when I wanted to pray with someone and started searching for a forum online that might offer live people 24 x 7 to pray with you. You know, I couldn't find one. Well, that's not totally true. I did find two of them that would let me in to pray with them if I filled out a form with my name and email address. I didn't want to fill out forms. I just wanted someone to pray with! I really don't think that's too much to ask. So I hope that if I keep telling people this story, someone will take it upon themselves to start a prayer ministry online. One that just prays for and with people. That's all.

So that said, I want people to understand that there is SO much more we can do with this awesome communication tool we call the internet. We can do more than create websites that are nothing but electronic newsletters. We can do more than just do one-way communication that the church is so use to. We now have a tool to truly communicate with those who need to be ministered to. We don't just have to preach, we can listen too. We can make church and christianity about two-way communication and really be in communion with each other and the world.

We don't have to solve everything at once but we should at least start! How about a simple ad on Facebook that says something like "Need Prayer?" or "Missing something?" that when clicked on takes a person to a live forum chat room that is staffed all the time with someone willing to prayer and share God's word? It doesn't have to be a pulpit, just a place to serve those with a need. It sounds so simple, and yet it's still not there. Anyone know where to host it? I bet the volunteers will come if we just have a place to start it.

Done for now... Hope God's graces are abundently obvious to you today.

In Christ,
Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment